Friday, February 18, 2005

Coming back from Biloxi


I was out of my depth at the no limit table at the Grand in Biloxi, but that wasn't going to stop me from playing at one of the most exciting tables I've ever sat at.

I've only been to Biloxi once, but I have to keep coming back from it.

I lost my measly $750 buy-in at that $5/$10 no limit table against guys with much more experience and much deeper pockets.

There was a tubby guy in an orange shirt who looked like Tennessee coach Phil Fulmer. He had a cool-looking $500 chip and busted shortly after me. A blond guy who looked like a 30-year-old Dexter from Dexter's laboratory said he was a semi-pro. Another bespeckled, older guy looked sharp. A middle-aged guy with most of the chips seemed savvy and said he had played with Dewey English and Josh Arieh.

In the end, I pushed with 10-10 and got called with AJ. The J paired, and I was out after about three or four hours at the table. I should have left a lot sooner, but you couldn't have dragged me from that table. It was such a thrill.

The comp manager wanted to know how I busted. He said it was a tough beat.

I was pissed: "If I wanted a toss-up, I could have played roulette."

My friend Daniel actually made a few hundred and got the hell out of dodge. That was smart of him.

Anyway, the trip was fun but a bankroll disaster.

I've been coming back from Biloxi ever since.

It took much longer than I expected -- four months -- to recover from that $1,166 total loss and get back over $2,400, where I was at before the trip to coastal Mississippi.

I came back in November, then fell behind in December. Then I failed at moving up to 3/6 limit in January and went on a big $1,600 slide.

But this time, it was only a three week trip to get back from Biloxi.

Returning from Biloxi blows, and I don't plan on going there again -- unless it's to get revenge.

Link: Never Open Limp?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home