Thursday, February 10, 2005

I can't drive 55

I often hear experts give some obvious advice: "play your best game."

But what is my best game?

Upon reflection, I think I play best when I focus on winning pots regardless of their size. I play best when I concentrate on the small pots as much as the large ones.

When I try to steal the blinds instead of letting the big blind keep his bet.
I play my worst when I try to avoid marginal situations and only play hard for the big pots. When I take author David Sklansky's advice to "invest extra bets when the pot is large" the wrong way. When I play weak in the hopes that I can come out strong when it matters.

I'm beginning to believe that a key to winning limit poker is to win the small battles. Yes, the large battles are important, but that's natural.

It's like in a war: just as the bigger army usually wins, the best hand usually wins.

But in the smaller pots, aggression or smart play may make the difference.

I don't know how to apply this knowledge exactly, other than to concentrate, steal the blinds and continue reading up on the game.

Some of these ideas occurred to me while looking at this Web site.

Let me know what you think. Do small pots matter this much, or are they more trivial?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home