Tuesday, September 27, 2005

One Year Past....

I arrived in Santiago, Chile one year ago today after a long plane flight from Atlanta.

When my flight landed, my main game was $25 buyin no limit on Ultimate Bet. My bankroll was $2,200, which shrunk to $2,000 by the end of the year and $800 by the end of January. Other than that, all I had was my dwindling savings and my small pay from The Santiago Times.

I wonder what would have happened if I had not recovered from that bankroll downswing in January. What if I had gone bust then?

I would never have gotten good at limit. My total profits would not now exceed $12,500. Perhaps I would still be in Chile. Maybe I would have returned to the States sooner.

Poker has shaped my life over the last eight months. Without poker money, I would have had to have found another job in Chile. Maybe I would have liked my new job. Maybe I would have liked that job enough to stay in South America. Perhaps my Spanish would have improved more. Perhaps I would have fallen in love.

Or maybe I would have run out of money and been forced to come crawling home. I could have ended up broke. I certainly would have needed a new job by now -- I wouldn't have had the luxury of taking my time looking for jobs while making regular vacations.

The one inescapable conclusion is that poker has given me more opportunities than I would have had otherwise. Whether that's for the best or not is debatable.

But I do know this: Poker has guaranteed me a secondary income for the rest of my life, barring an enormous economic depression that would drive all the fish away. I am good enough at the game to consistently win, even if the games get rocky.

I will never be poor. I will never be hungry. I will always have poker to pay for my basic needs, if not more.

For that, I am grateful.

Up next: the card rooms of Tampa, Florida!

1 Comments:

At 10:53 PM, Blogger kurokitty said...

It's been quite a year, hasn't it?
Although I think it's likely the both of us will continue to derive income from poker in the future, I fear it's not such a guarantee. Going bust is common among pros, no matter how good they are.
And I think that even if you had gone bust last year, it wouldn't have been the end of things. You were too interested in the game. You likely would have picked up limit games anyway.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home