Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Not much...

Poker continues to be good, although I don't really understand why I tend to play less when I'm winning. Perhaps because I feel like I'm on my game and don't want to ruin it? Or maybe a more realistic answer is that it means I'm treating poker more like a part-time job in which I earn money, and I don't want to sink too many hours into it.

Don't get me wrong; I still love poker. But losing is what motivates me to play and get back above even.

It reminds me of a part in the book, "The Professor, The Banker and The Suicide King." At one point, Ted Forrest loses big -- real big -- early on in a session, but he sits through for hours and hours to get even. Generally, I agree with the conventional wisdom that when you're running bad, you should stop playing for a while to gather yourself and find a better game. But sometimes, like Forrest says, it can be an excellent character- and confidence-building exercise to work yourself back into the black. That applies especially if you're in a good game and you feel like you're playing well.

Separately, I was impressed by this post: Cold Calling: The Silent Killer. Check it out.

I'll leave you with a Hand of the Day. It may have been my single biggest hand in a limit ring game. Thank you, river!

***** Hand History for Game 2753770897 *****
$10/$20 Texas Hold'em - Thursday, September 22, 00:00:25 EDT 2005
Table Table 41362 (9 max) (Real Money)
Seat 2 is the button
Total number of players : 9
Seat 1: ScubaDiva57 ( $458.44 )
Seat 2: pokerinchile ( $489 )
Seat 3: allgold111 ( $307 )
Seat 5: capt_Yip ( $185 )
Seat 7: garfield33 ( $657.24 )
Seat 8: jjbear ( $437 )
Seat 9: KidSunshine ( $915.95 )
Seat 6: Jujubes ( $405 )
Seat 4: pokernoob420 ( $500 )
allgold111 posts small blind [$5].
pokernoob420 posts big blind [$10].
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to pokerinchile [ Jd Ac ]
capt_Yip folds.
Jujubes folds.
garfield33 folds.
jjbear folds.
KidSunshine calls [$10].
ScubaDiva57 calls [$10].
pokerinchile raises [$20].
allgold111 folds.
pokernoob420 calls [$10].
>You have options at Devils den Table!.
KidSunshine calls [$10].
ScubaDiva57 calls [$10].
** Dealing Flop ** [ Td, Ah, 7h ]
pokernoob420 checks.
>You have options at Devils den Table!.
KidSunshine checks.
ScubaDiva57 checks.
pokerinchile bets [$10].
pokernoob420 calls [$10].
KidSunshine calls [$10].
ScubaDiva57 calls [$10].
** Dealing Turn ** [ Js ]
pokernoob420 checks.
KidSunshine checks.
ScubaDiva57 bets [$20].
pokerinchile raises [$40].
>You have options at Devils den Table!.
>You have options at Devils den Table!.
pokernoob420 calls [$40].
KidSunshine raises [$60].
>You have options at Devils den Table!.
ScubaDiva57 calls [$40].
pokerinchile calls [$20].
pokernoob420 calls [$20].
** Dealing River ** [ Ad ]
pokernoob420 checks.
KidSunshine bets [$20].
>You have options at Table 13058 Table!.
ScubaDiva57 folds.
pokerinchile raises [$40].
pokernoob420 folds.
KidSunshine calls [$20].
pokerinchile shows [ Jd, Ac ] a full house, Aces full of jacks.
KidSunshine doesn't show [ Qs, Kc ] a straight, ten to ace.
pokerinchile wins $442 from the main pot with a full house, Aces full of jacks.

1 Comments:

At 11:27 PM, Blogger kurokitty said...

I know you already know this, but you're continually winning. Your bankroll and your total profits are in the plus, no?
The stock market isn't described as winning and losing, it's "bull" and "bear" and it's always on the rise. You're constantly moving the chains, so don't worry about it so much. The ball bounces on the rim and rolls out? Fuck it, there's always another day.
The old Michael Jordan commercial talks about his failures, but I bet you he never thought about it in this way:
I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home