Sunday, September 18, 2005

WSOP

I sat down in the living room tonight after sending application materials for a job in Washington. I thought about playing poker first, but I figured I should probably relax instead of worrying at the tables.

First I flipped to the Phillies-Marlins game, which the Marlins won (and which helps the Braves keep their 5-game lead!) Then I saw that last week's World Series of Poker was on next. I got excited when I saw the lineup of the final table for the $5,000 no limit event: T.J. Cloutier, John Hennigan, Todd Brunson, Tony Ma and John Bonetti.

But, as usual, the coverage totally sucked. When will TV get over this fascination with only showing all-in showdowns? That's not poker. It's fucking preflop play, over and over again.

And they don't even do that very well. They only show the chip counts occasionally, they don't break down the pot odds for the viewer, they don't give the audience any idea of the hand number. It makes me mad.

Poker is a game played on the flop. I wish the rest of the world could see that on TV every once in a while.

---

Meanwhile, the tables have been overly good. I haven't even been playing much, and I've still recorded some very nice wins. What can I say?

I must be living right!

1 Comments:

At 1:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Look at the bright side -- televised poker is the only education that some players you're going to run into will ever have.

Every time you hear those beautiful words -- "I wanted to play poker like I see on TV" -- you can rest assured that your EV just skyrocketed.

d.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home