Tuesday, September 06, 2005

I've said it before, and I'll say it again

No limit can be freakin boring.

The only mild excitement in no limit comes when you actually do get a hand that you have a chance to play after waiting forever. Then you might make a bet preflop or on the flop.

And if you get raised, or, worse, check-raised, you'll likely fold. Maybe every few hundred hands you'll get a hand that's worth pushing. And even then, your opponent is more than likely to do just what you would do in the same situation: fold. Or he might call with a better hand.

So you have a game that seems like it should be interesting, but it's not because the large bet sizes make no limit largely a game of betting and folding. (Or just checking and folding).

Don't get me wrong; no limit is quite profitable. There are so many fish out there that don't even understand the basics of no limit. They couldn't spot a bluff or a continuation bet if it were wrapped around their throats.

The point is that no limit can be mind-numbingly tedious, even when you're winning.

While I was clearing the Empire Poker bonus last night, I played Mindsweeper most of the time just to have something entertaining to do.

Seriously. I had to play Mindsweeper to occupy myself while four-tabling $100 buyin no limit games.

I hate to critisize the game that has brought me so much money because fish see it on TV. I just don't think no limit is the game for me as long as limit poker is profitable as well. In limit, at least you can play some hands.

When Mindsweeper is more interesting than poker, something is definitely wrong.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home