Friday, June 03, 2005

Fundamental Dispute

You hold AA preflop. Rockets. American Airlines. Bullets.

Three people come into a raised pot. Flop comes rags, perhaps with a flush possibility and a K. You bet your AA. Player No. 2 folds, player No. 3 raises big.

Push, call or fold?

I argue for pushing with AA. I think I have the best hand. The only hands I'm behind right now are KK or a set. My thinking is that aggression goes rewarded when you believe you have the best hand.

I'm willing to accept a loss. I'm willing to lose my entire stack in this situation because I will win this hand much more than I will lose it. I think calling or folding is weak play and will cost you money.

But some players that I know and respect see things differently.

They argue that against most of these weak, fishy players in no limit games, you have to take a reraise like this very seriously. Why would your opponent keep raising you when you've already shown strength?

So maybe you should raise for information at some point, or simply let the hand go and wait for a better opportunity, my friends say. Any yokel could have a hidden set, and it's not worth the chance.

I disagree, but I'm not sure I'm right. I think the sacrifice is worth it and it's part of the game. You need to lose your stack sometimes. No limit poker isn't about cutting corners and trying to be cheap. No limit poker is about intimidation, aggression and confidence. When I think there's a probability I have the best hand, I will take the risk.

That's kind of a one-dimensional view though, and there are constant exceptions. The situation depends on the flop texture, the betting action and your reads on your opponents.

Sometimes it's OK to fold the best hand because the risk outweighs the reward.

Most of the time, though, I do not fear the Iraqi insurgent hiding in the weeds with an RPG -- a powerful set that can strike me down in an instant. Being afraid of the RPG is more dangerous than the RPG itself, and I believe I will win more through fearless plays than I will lose through crash landings.

Link:
Morton's Theorem

1 Comments:

At 11:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I recall talking about this subject a month ago with you here in Chile, Mark.

I totally agree with you about aggression on No Limit. But at lower stakes its quite important to use "selective aggression". The situation you expose is a little blurred, still i will give my opinion in the subject, no as "the truth" but to explain my train of thoughts as a low stake No limit player. 3 people in a raised pot, but how much was the raise?. I'm guessing standard 3 to 5 times the BB. So 2 callers- That could mean a lot of things depending on the table. Remember, No limit is truly about the people.

Still, let's pretend you have no solid info of any of them. So you raised and got 2 callers, let's say they are intermediate, average players. Depending on position of course, most likely you are facing the followings:

- AK
- a small set
- KQs (from a loose player)
- a semi bluff. Maybe he has pocket pair, like JJ, TT, 99 and you are way ahead. Even QQ.
- a total bluff (10%)some one called with suited connectors or something in that area


And KK? You are wondering? Most likely a guy with KK re-raises preflop. Of course, many oddball situation could be playing, but as an average rule KK would re raise.

My guess is AK or a small set. JJ QQ TT and 99 are also possible. Many players would bet or raise a pot with pocket pair when only one overcard to the pair flops. They represent that card. I would suggest a re raise, but not to strong, you want info, not pot commitment. If he plays back at you, then you are against the wall, but if he only calls, probably doesn't have KK, maybe you are lucky, and even get a free card.

I would re raise here for sure if i don't have any info on the guy. As i mostly play multi table, i would play it straightforwardly. You may win the pot right there, you may get a free card, or you could be behind. In all cases if you play back at him you will get info. That info is crucial on the flop. Afterwards you are facing many possibilities, you need to define YOUR hand right there.

My humble opinion...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home