Friday, May 20, 2005

Oh yeah

That's what I'm talking about!

It had been so long since I hit a great rush that I had forgotten what it felt like. And at no limit, it feels so much sweeter to crush your opponents and have those big stacks pushed my way.

Oh, yes. Oh god yes.

The night started out like all my nights at the tables have recently. I sit down, and within a half hour, I've lost three buyins. My very first hand, I lost to overtrips vs. a medium-sized stack.

Then I toiled away for a while, and then everything came together at the same time.

Busting two people at once. Losing the main pot with a set of 8 vs. a straight, but winning the larger side pot vs. a fish who couldn't let his KK go. Taking out AK top pair with KQ two pair. Quads that get action.

Wow, that feels good. This is how it should be.

Now to begin the cycle again: confidence building, winning, taking it for granted and then a slide before climbing back up again. Fortunately, I think I can limit the slides and maximize the wins.

Tonight reminded me of how very different no limit and limit are. No limit is just a simpler game, there's no question in my mind. I believe Miller or Malmuth said so once too. And in a simpler game, the edges are sharper, and the fish are more likely to pay because you can decide what pot odds to offer your opponent by varying bet sizes.

Limit is more based on faith. You have to believe and know you're making the right move at all times, even when that right move fails time and time again.

In no limit, making the right move is more likely to offer instant gratification.

Separately, I want to hear some feedback on my last post. Since then, I've gotten the idea that those universal truths/maxims I listed may be one of my biggest leaks. These rules of thumbs have been drilled into my head over and over again until I don't pay close enough attention to the game at hand and adjust to the individual situation. Perhaps that's the trick.

1 Comments:

At 12:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! I'm chilean so I live in Santiago too and I got just by luck to this blog, I never expected to see someone so involved with poker even here on stgo where poker isn't so developed... I think you're becoming desperate just playing online... so are we hehe... I laugh a lot with your comments like "concha tu madre" and those things... made laugh a lot... it's true I've said such things while bad beats or losing streaks comes out... I want to make you know... that there is a chance for you to play real poker here in chile... if you have the time... check out www.pokerchile.com and you0ll realize that in a couple of weeks there is a tournament schedule to be played in La Reina a suburb here in stgo in a very nice place with professional tables and all the stuff... so... it was nice to find your blog... anything you want to ask or know just post on my fotolog... www.fotolog.net/oz_unreal or my msn and e-mail vodka.naranja@gmail.com so that's it... good luck!

Cheers Nicolas from Santiago :P

 

Post a Comment

<< Home