Friday, May 06, 2005

Going Pro

It was in March of 2004 when Daniel and I first started debating "going pro."

At the time, going pro meant stepping up from the home game routine and trying to make some real money on the Internet. My first try, I went bust faster than Keanu Reeves falling to the ground when he tries to jump those buildings in "The Matrix."

But it didn't take long to start making a little money, and then a little more.

Now, once again, I've gone pro. Nothing has changed, except for that for the first time, I'm living off my poker winnings.

When I moved to Chile more than seven months ago, I had nearly $5,000 saved up to last me for the foreseeable future. You can live off $500 a month here, but I've spent a little bit more than that.

I've been building up my bankroll preparing for this day -- the day that my bankroll's growth may shrink even if I'm winning because I'm having to use it to pay for drinks of Pisco sour, empanadas de champignon and Lucky Strike lights.

Hopefully, I'll be able to make some money over these next two months before I move back to the States at the end of June. Then I plan on living off my poker winnings for a few months before I make a regrettable return to the real world (or get lucky, keep winning, and move up in limits enough to sustain myself. That's unlikely though).

Until then, I'll be a short-term poker professional, making my bread at the tables and paying my own way. I'll be living off a daily dose of fish while throwing myself at the mercy of the Poker Gods.

Wish me luck!

Hand of the Day:
Bad river laydown?

1 Comments:

At 2:55 PM, Blogger April said...

Good luck!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home