Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Value Betting

When I grow up, I want to be able to value bet like the pros.

But I still can't seem to get it down yet, despite repeated readings of "Small Stakes Hold em," other books and the 2+2 forums.

I'm working on it though, and someday, I may well move up from my status as a winning 3/6 player to an expert player.

Value betting is betting with a marginal hand when you think you may get a call from a lesser hand (or something like that).

The easiest place to value bet is the river, when you think you may be beat, but you believe it's more likely you're best. This happens a lot when a flush card, straight card or overcard falls. Bet it out with a plan in mind about what you'll do if you get raised -- whether to call or fold.

On earlier streets, it may not be value betting exactly, but there are many times when Sklansky, Miller and Malmuth recommend raising with many kinds of draws. Their most famous example is raising with middle pair from late position when you also have a backdoor straight or some other longshot-type draw.

I'm working on it, but it's hard to make these raises when it feels like you're just throwing money away most of the time. I guess it's worth it for the times when your draw does come through.

I guess the Cliff Notes version of Sklansky's advice is this: when in later position than the bettor, raise the flop with any hand that is paired and has any draw, or any straight or flush draw if you have a pot equity edge or think you could gain a free card. I think that about sums it up. Anyone disagree with that synopsis?

Put another way, it seems like in late position if it's worth a call, you should almost always raise.

This aggressive play stuff is hard! The balance between making correct aggressive plays and simply throwing away money seems quite precarious because I don't know exactly what I'm doing.

Comments are appreciated.

Hands of the Day:
QJ top pair hand
Punishing Drawers

AK Bluff

1 Comments:

At 4:13 PM, Blogger Human Head said...

I wish I had someting worthwhile to say on agression, other than aggression=difficult for me. I guess it's just where experience comes in that a person can walk that fine line between aggressive and throwing away bets.

Oh well, back to SSHE and the others :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home