Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Lessons from Stars

I finally cleared the PokerStars bonus, which was OK. I didn't make any money, but I was able to learn a good bit.

Perhaps one of the most important things to know for future reference is that the amount of money I deposit for the bonus simply isn't enough for me to feel comfortable at the limits I'm playing. A $600 deposit doesn't provide enough of a comfort level for me to play my best game at $5/$10 (no less $10/$20).

Secondly, bonus whoring at shorthanded games tends to be a losing proposition. I know that shorthanded games can be very profitable, but when you only have $600 to work with, the variance seems to be too high for even $3/$6 limit games. Note to self: stop playing shorthanded when working off bonuses, even if the game selection blows.

Another thing: PokerStars simply isn't as good for limit games. There's a good reason that Party Poker has the most and the best limit games. Party Poker allows passive datamining with PokerTracker, PokerStars doesn't. Party Poker has more limit players and a larger player pool. Party Poker has a Buddy List that is much easier to use than PokerStars for finding the big fish.

Finally, this experience at PokerStars has made me realize something that I should have figured out a long time ago. I've fallen into the trap of the "irrational exuberance" of the poker fad. I fooled myself into thinking that the games won't dry up too much. The problem with that way of thinking is that the games will dry up somewhat, and if I'm forced to play at a site that's not Party Poker, my profits will be additionally cut.

And what will I do if and when the games dry up? PokerStars made me realize that I'd have a much harder time dropping down in limits than I like to admit. When I only had $80 left in my Stars account, I had to drop down to .10/.25 no limit games, which I haven't played since February. Let me tell you, that was painful. The games are soft, but I barely cared whether I won or lost. The money was nearly meaningless to me. I couldn't play well because I wasn't into it.

I like to think that if I were forced to play at that level, I could do it because I'd still make money and I like poker. But I also like to think that I would quit playing rather than have that as my regular game.

---

Empire Bonus: PLAYOCT, 100 percent to $100, with a 10X workthru. Link.

1 Comments:

At 7:43 PM, Blogger kurokitty said...

I know it's difficult to maintain focus on lower games, but these games should be freerolls. Although you're not "playing to where it hurts" like Doyle says, you have little risk of bankroll ruin from them.
I see it as a matter of game selection. Through this Poker Stars bonus I've put my $600 in limit games from $10/20 to $2/4 and NL from $1/2 to .25/.50. I simply would go where the loosest games were. On a whim, I even played a 6-handed sng -- and won!
It was comforting to play these easy games, where people will fold to a semi-bluff without thinking about why or calling your value bet all-in when they're just drawing dead.
Many times I felt like a major-league baseball pitcher changing up my pitches. These easy games are where you'll most be able to tell how far you've improved. You should be able to win on the road, not just in your home stadium (PartyPoker)!!
Many times we won't be able to play the games that we should be playing (like having to play the Hard Rock Tampa's $1/2 limit, for example, or some shitty $5 buy-in NL home game). But I think playing correctly and maintaining focus in these situations will provide valuable experience in the long run.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home