Tuesday, October 18, 2005

No Limit

I've been back in no limit land for more than a week now, working off the Poker Stars, Empire Poker and Eurobet bonuses.

No limit is fun! Limit is definitely my best game, but you can't beat the thrill of going all in on a strong draw and hitting it against multiple callers. The excitement of betting all your money on one hand can't be rivaled.

I always think of this gray-hair I overheard in Biloxi more than a year ago at the Grand. One of the players had just left a no limit game to play in a limit game, and the gray-hair said, "He prefers the structure of limit." There was an unsubtle sneer in the gray-hair's voice.

It's silly for no limit players to ridicule limit players. In my experience, limit is a more nuanced game with more profit potential. And I've found that no limit players tend to suck donkey balls at limit.

But what sticks with me about the gray-hair's statement is that the whole point of no limit is that it's so freestyle.

Because no limit often boils down to a game of traps and bluffs, starting hand values and blind stealing tends to go down in value. It's more important to consider the implied odds of an all-in bet than it is to consider the incremental value of getting every last little chip you can from a made hand (as in limit).

The best part of no limit though is that it's The Biggest Game In Town. Therefore, it has the most fish. I seriously think that some of these no limit fish will never improve their game, and many of them will be around for a long time. When the other games dry up, I know where to find some good friends!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home