Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Game Selection

I'm not sure if this is the right way to handle game selection, but this is the way I do it:

I select a table and join it if there are fewer than two tight-aggressive players. I try to sit with the fish at my right. I want the table to have voluntarily put money into the pot more than 30 percent of the time on average. I want the table's preflop aggression factor to be less than 10 percent. If there are two fish to my right, I will stay at a table even if its averages dip below my ideals. But if the players to my right seem solid and the table seems OK, I may leave anyway.

Sound good?

I'm trying to be very picky about which tables I will sit at and who I will play against. My reasoning is that so much of the money in limit poker comes from the people who have no idea what they're doing. Because most players at least have some clue, they won't give away as much money as the real fish. Therefore, I should concentrate on finding the easy money.

It's been working well so far.

The most interesting part of the game selection experiment is that I give more importance to the stats of the players to my right at the table than I do to the table averages. Mike Caro was saying in "Super System 2" that most of your money comes from the players to your right, and I'm testing that theory.

I figure if I can either isolate the players to my right or try to play pots that they're involved in, then they are practically dead money. I'll have position on them almost every time. And that's a huge advantage.

Anyone else have different game selection criteria? I know it may be tougher to find games this loose and passive at higher limits because it's hard enough at 3/6.

Speaking of which ...

Is it just me, or are the limit games even tighter now than they were three months ago? I know a series of posts appears on the 2+2 Forums every now and then about how fewer people are voluntarily putting their money into the pot, but I haven't seen one in a while.

I think it must be true that the games are tightening a little bit all the time. Fortunately for all of us, they still have a long way to go before these games are unplayable. Seriously, the Party Poker player pool is now reaching over 80,000 on most nights. That's a lot of fish.

---

I know I said I would post photos here from Vegas, but I realized I don't have e-mail enabled on my cell phone, so I can't send the photos from there to the computer. I'm thinking about sucking it up and paying the money for Internet access from my phone, but then again, I'm trying to be cheap now that I don't have a job. I'll have to think about it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home