Tuesday, November 08, 2005

In the Zone

If it's possible to be in that magical fun happy place that sports stars refer to as "The Zone," then I think I'm there. Except for that in poker, we tend to use the more humble term of "running good" because of the random nature of the cards.

Fine then. I'm running good. I keep getting pocket Kings with no Aces on the flop. I'll suck out on you any day, and you'll like it. When I have second pair vs. your top pair, I'll check-raise you and you'll fold. Or I'll hit two pair on the turn. Which way would you like it?

It was like tonight at the new Emory game. I lost about $200 in the first half hour, but then I rebought and ended up cashing out a profit of about $200. Near the end of the night, a few people at my table were complaining because I was taking down a lot of pots that never got close to showdown. (I wish they had gotten to showdown -- I had some monster hands.) I raised from middle position with pocket 8s. This guy known as Pipsqueek looked at me and asked whether I wanted him to call or fold.

"I don't care what you do. It's money for me either way," I said.

He folded. So did everyone else. I'll take it.

Here's the question: How long can this last? How long can I live the dream of three big bets per 100 hands?

I haven't even played $15/$30 again because I'm irrationally worried that this run is going to come to a crashing halt. Then again, maybe the real reason I haven't played $15/$30 again is that I don't feel up to it for whatever reason (tired, half-drunk, etc.).

Like online poker itself, this good run can't last forever. Or can it?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home