Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Review: Winning Low Limit Hold 'Em

Lee Jones' "Winning Low Limit Hold 'Em" is like diet "Small Stakes Hold 'Em" by Sklansky and friends.

It's a good book, but it would have been much more useful if I had read it a long time ago rather than now.

But that isn't to say I didn't get something out of it.

The section on check-raising was useful because I had gotten into a groove of almost always betting out a strong hand and building a pot. The check-raising hand examples were useful, too. Jones suggests check-raising top pair Q off AQ as well as top pair K off KJ if the board isn't threatening.

The discussion about how to play weak kickers was also enlightening. I like the idea of raising the flop from late position and then checking the turn. This induces a bet on the river, which you can safely call.

Other than those two sections though, I felt like the book was a pale echo of "Small Stakes Hold 'Em." Throughout the book, Jones makes references to Sklansky and Malmuth, and it sounds like some of their criticisms may have led to the revisions seen in the second edition.

I liked it though -- it's always good to have a review of the basics.

The Sunday night HORSE tourney on Full Tilt was fun. I sucked big time!

I blame the alcohol for my misread in razz that led to my quick demise. I still don't know why I lost that hand.

Everyone should play in these events. Everyone's friendly and chatty, and the competition isn't much different from any other game. Check at the World Poker Bloggers Tour Web site for upcoming events.

As for bonuses, Empire poker is offering an account-specific 15 percent bonus up to $100 with only a 500 hand workthru. Log on to Empire, and if you get a pop-up window, you're eligible for the bonus.

Links:
Ax HU
Typical pair vs. overcard

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home